- December 2020, a Preliminary Title Report on the VMCC property was prepared by Cascade Title Company.
- January 2021, a topographical survey of the VMCC property was completed by WJ Eimstad Co. The survey revealed that Lane County had constructed the masonry restrooms at Helfrich Landing that 100% encroached on the VMCC property.
The Preliminary Title Report (PTR) confirmed that Lane County did not have an Encroachment Agreement or an Easement from VMCC to build or operate the restrooms.
The well and waterline that is the water source for the VMCC building is on the Lane County Helfrich Landing property. The existing waterline was located and marked out. The waterline travels across the Helfrich Landing asphalt area and then up to the VMCC building.
The PTR shows an easement for the well and waterline recorded in 1950 in favor of the prior owner of the VMCC property, The McKenzie River Club. However, the easement document states that if the McKenzie River Club ever sold the property that the easement would terminate. The McKenzie River Club sold the property to the VMCC in 2001.
Craig contacted the Lane County Land Use Division Manager and made the following proposal: VMCC will grant an easement to Lane County for the use of the restroom building in exchange for Lane County granting a new easement in favor of VMCC for the well, waterline and electrical conduit to run the well.
Lane County accepted the proposal and the documents have been prepared and are out for signature and recording.
- The existing septic tank has been located, pumped and inspected. The tank system has failed. A new septic tank and drain field system will have to be installed. We are in discussions with local septic tank system contractors for a new system.
- Craig is monitoring the completion of the Step 2 cleanup of the VMCC site by the State of Oregon. As soon as Step 2 is completed the State will issue certificate to the VMCC that the property and soil is hazardous material free and the site is ready for rebuilding.
- The project architect, Jesse Elliot of Voussoir Architecture has been authorized to proceed with Design Development and Construction Documents for the new building. When the plans are complete they will be submitted to the Lane County Building Department to obtain the building and engineering permits.
July 30, 2021
Recovering the Time Capsule